Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Winter Favorites

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

I hope everyone had a fantastic Holiday season and made it through with minimal stress. Now that we've barreled through what some consider the highlight of the year, we find ourselves stranded in the middle of winter.

I live in Michigan and in my world winter means bulky coats, frizzy hair and dry itchy skin. Honestly, no matter how cute scarves are, I just don't like winter. But as part of my New Year Resolution I'm aiming to bring my dislike up to at least a tolerable.

And so, here are my so-far-found must haves for winter:

A Structured Coat- No matter how cold it is, please put away your fluffy down coats! They're good for skiing or playing outside with the kids, but I don't feel that really present the best you. Instead look for a wool or wool synthetic that will keep you warm without adding padding. A well constructed coat will have a pattern for a woman's body and should have inward curved lines for the seams. This combination will look fashionable, professional and flattering.
$70 at Sears on Sale. These range from $30-$500 so there's one for every budget.

A Conditioning Hair Masque- If you haven't heard of these you're in for a treat! This are thick conditioner like substances that you use on your hair to pack in moisture and nutrients. Since winter is so drying you may find your hair feeling dull and brittle. Mine gets to the point where I actually battle static throughout the day. A hair masque will help with all of this, and I suggest using one about once a week (more or less for your personal hair type). It sets a healthy foundation to keep rocking those amazing hairstyles. You can find them at almost any beauty retailer.
Available in individual packages for less then $5.

Lip Balm- Hi, I'm Lindsay and I'm a Lip Balm Addict. I have a tube next to my seat on the couch, on my nightstand, in my purse, in my car, in the kitchen and at my desk. It's a great habit to put on lip balm year round, but with the dry season I find it extra important in winter (especially if you wear lipstick during the day). If carting around tubes isn't your thing, try at least using an intense balm at night before going to sleep.
EOS Sweet Mint is one of my obsessions


Moisturizer/Lotion- You've probably heard this on repeat, especially with the movement towards healthier skin, but did you know using body lotion can actually help with some common skin problems? Things like keratosis pilaris ("Chicken Skin") and stretch marks can greatly benefit from the added skin elasticity moisturizers provide. And don't forget your face! I know it takes another tube, but your face and neck take a beating every day, and it's one of the first places to show aging. So show some love to your beautiful self!

I try to use unscented in counter scent reactions

WATER- It's a hard truth for most, but if you're seeing signs of drying like rough skin or chapped lips it's a sure sign that you're dehydrated. Even if you drink one more glass of water a day, you could be benefiting your body tremendously. Start early and start drinking water ASAP! And for those of you who don't like regular water, trying finding flavored or carbonated spring water at your major convenience stores.


Good Luck!

<3 Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment