Thursday, November 8, 2012

Bowtied Hair and Not-So-Bad Hair Days

My heart goes out to all those ladies with thin or fine hair. And if you have both, I'm terribly sorry.

See, I'm one of those lucky individuals who has the combination of thin AND fine hair. Which means, I often don't have enough hair to do elaborate to voluminous hair styles, and I also don't have enough texture to get hairstyles to stay in place.

I know that the grass is always greener on the other side, but there are days when I just hate my hair.

But yesterday I happened to be brushing my teeth and couldn't help but notice how wonderfully thick my hair was looking thanks to a new shampoo. So I thought, why not play around?

Result:


TADA! A Bowtie to be proud of!

How I did it (for thin and/or fine haired women):

Start with Head and Shoulders Men's Shampoo Thinning Solutions, but don't condition! Conditioner will just weight your strands down.

Towel dry your hair and spritz in a light leave in conditioner if needed, otherwise skip to the next step.

Use a good lightweight volumizing mousse. For those who use salon products, try Joico Body Luxe Design Foam. It's not dense like many mousse products so it's optimal for my fine haired friends.

Blow dry upside down with heat. Make sure you get your roots well to help increase the lift in your hair.

Let your hair completely dry and cool down. If hair is damp or even warm it's still impressionable and can loose it's thickness if you play around with it too much.

Once dry, pull your hair up into a high topknot using a thin hair elastic. Don't be afraid to flip your hair upside down to achieve the height. Pull your hair through the elastic, but on your final round loop a floppy bun with the remainder of your bun pointed at your face. You will need this part.

With your bun created, split it in half to form the rounded bow part. Reach through and pull your extra hair over the middle to create the "knot". Pin in place.

Take the hair spray of your choice and smooth down all the edges, or leave them or an edgy look.

And you're done! It might take a few tries, but once you get it it's a cool trick to have for life.

As soon as I wrack up the courage I will post a video showing how I did it. Until then, try searching for it on youtube.com for a better visual reference. 

What do you think? Will you try this for your everyday, or maybe keep it as a holiday party trick? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment