Sunday, December 16, 2012

December MyGlam/Ipsy

Have you heard about the beauty sample businesses that are so popular right now? The most popular one is called Birchbox, and that's the one I started on, but recently these services have popped up across the web. The service I like the most is called MyGlam, though they've recently changed their name to Ipsy, and they without fail offer great makeup products every month.

How does it work? Every month you pay a small fee ($10 for Ipsy) and you receive a package with 4-6 deluxe samples from various brands based on a style profile you fill out. Many times these "samples" end up being full size products! It's really that simple, and considering the retail value of these products separately can end up in the hundreds, it's definitely worth it.

Ipsy for December focused on a look for the Holidays.


I received 5 samples and a bag, all which work beautiful together. You'll notice some big name brands in this collection, which is one of the things that keep me so faithful to Ipsy.


First up is Mirabella Prime face and eye primer. The product is a very silky feeling clear gel that glides on the skin very well. It takes very little to cover a full face and so the tube size is enough to last a month or two. I've been needed a primer for a while and this is great for your basic primers.


NYX is a brand that I've gained a recent appreciation for. They offer good products are a fraction of the price of most high end brands. This is a little jar of NYX Pearl-Mania Loose Pigment Eyeshadow in Baby Pink. I've never used loose eye shadows before from my fear of it being messy, but I was so impressed by this I think I'm going to go out and buy more colors. The color was rich, and with the Mirabella Prime under it I never had flaking or feathering. I just pour out a tiny amount on a paper towel and use a brush to apply. If there is any left, I can scoop it back into the bottle. This is definitely a new favorite!





If you haven't heard of Urban Decay, then you're in for a treat. UD is a brand recommended by so many makeup professionals and I've been impatiently waiting to try them for almost a year. It was so worth the wait! This Urban Decay 27/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion is so smooth and pigmented it's definitely worth the investment, and I'll be looking into getting more colors.




Before this months Ipsy I've never heard of highlighter papers, but this Mai Couture Highlighter Papier (yes, it's spelled weird) is literally a booklet with thin papers in it which has highlighter infused into each sheet. This was so easy to use and had such a great application that I would definitely buy it again...if it didn't cost $28. I may not be able to afford this brand, but it's opened my eyes to the wonder of highlighting powder which I will be adding to my makeup arsenal in the future.




The last product is Be A Bombshell Lip gloss in Hot Mess. I had two initial opinions when I found out I would be getting this product. First was excitement at getting a new Be A Bombshell product since I received their Eyeliner in my October Ipsy and I loved it. My second reaction was disappointment since this is the second red lip gloss I've received in three months. I know I should be thankful that I can pull off a true red lip color since many can't, but I only need so many and I'm really not a lip gloss person to begin with. I'd much prefer a lipstick.

Luckily this gloss has great pigment and is super easy to apply cleanly. It didn't smear or shift which made me feel confident enough not to check a mirror every 10 minutes. The only downside is that the color doesn't stay on for super long, but a lot of lip glosses are like that.

With everything provided I just needed to add foundation, mascara and an eyebrow pencil and I had a complete makeup look!



Over all, this months Ipsy was gold! The total costs of all these full sized products equals $93 before tax, and there isn't a product I wouldn't use. Did I forget to mention that every month comes with a cute little bag?

Ipsy is usually a closed subscription service with limited openings every month, but I believe for the Holiday Season Ipsy is allowing people to sign up at any time! So head over to www.ipsy.com and create a profile.

Happy Holidays!
<3 Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment